GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Blyth

"This extensive parish, which is partly in Yorkshire, is nearly eight miles in length, stretching from Barnby Moor, northward to Finningley Park. It is intersected by the River Idle, the Great North Road, and the turnpikes leading from Tickhill to Worksop and Gainsborough. It contains the two chapelries of Bawtry and Austerfield, both of which are in Yorkshire, the former containing only 270 acres of land, and the latter 2,700 acres. It also comprises, besides the township of Blyth, those of Barnby-Moor-with-Bilby, Hodsock-with-Goldthorpe, Ranskill, part of Styrrup-with-Oldcoates, and Torworth. The entire parish contains 3,900 inhabitants, and 15,500 acres of land, mostly a fertile sandy soil."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 849
1861 R.G. 9 / 2413 & 2420
1891 R.G. 12 / 2639 & 2645
1911 R.G. 14 / 2024
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

The village, township and parish of Blyth lies approximately 145 miles north of London and 6 miles NNE of Worksop. Part of the ancient parish lies in Yorkshire.

The village lies on the River Ryton. The hamlet of Hodsock lies to the south-west and the hamlet and Township of "Torworth" is astride the Great North Road to the east. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Year  Person
1912 Mrs. Esther SPEAKMAN
Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military Records

In 1912, Captain Percival Naylor KENT of the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry was a resident here. He was a Captain in the Dragoon Guards in 1901 and served in the 1st Imperial Light Horse during the Boer War.

The Worksop Guardian has this column from 26 April 1918:

It is with great regret that we record the death in France of Lieut. Col. P. N. Kent. Col. Kent was long in resident at Blyth where he was very popular and respected buy all. A sidesman in the Parish Church and one always ready to give assistance in any kind of work, he will be sadly missed. His two sons are serving their King and Country. We would like to offer our deepest sympathy to Mrs. Kent, her daughter, and her sons in their great loss.
Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

31 Jul 1858: Bawtry was separated from Blyth and with Austerfield was made a distinct parish under the name of the parish of Bawtry with Austerfield by order in Council signed on 31 Jul 1858. R HINES curate of Bawtry
Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

Year Barnby Moor Blyth Hodsock Torworth
1801 141 589 157 143
1851 261 765 205 258
1881 618 220
1901 213 540 227 213
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Valid HTML 4.01

[Last updated: 29-June-2014 - Louis R. Mills]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.