"Boughton parish, two miles north-east of Ollerton, is a small scattered village situated at the foot of Cockin Hill, a steep acclivity, which forms the east side of the parish, and the boundary of the South Clay division, separating it from the parish of Laxton. On the west is an extensive tract of very light forest land, called the Brecks. About thirty acres of hop ground extend from the south-west at the foot of Cockin Hill, towards Ollerton, of which, a few years ago, there were twice the number of acres in hop grounds. The parish contains 398 inhabitants and 1,348a 1r 15p of land, including 135 acres of commons and 49½ acres in woods, of the rateable value of £1,209 18s 5d. The Earl of Scarborough is lord of the manor (holding a court at Michaelmas), and owner of the whole except 384 acres. John Doncaster, gent, of Ollerton, owns and occupies about 112 acres, and several others are owners. The River Mann intersects the parish, over which, in 1812, a bridge was erected by subscription, previous to which the ford was often dangerous. On the bank of the river is a deep cavity in the rock of red sandstone, called Robin Hood's Cave, near which is New England, a district of about 50 acres, enclosed from the forest many years ago, lying betwixt Walesby and Pearlthorpe, but in Ollerton township."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1841||H.O. 107 / 849|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2473|
Boughon was a village and a parish just east of Ollerton, 20 miles from Nottingham city and 118 miles north of the city of London. The River Maun runs through the parish and the parish covered 1,372 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
The population of this parish exploded with the growth of Ollerton in the late 1920s and since then has been over 1,200 every census.
Year Population 1801 190 1811 217 1821 289 1851 398 1871 344 1881 296 1891 286 1901 210 1911 269
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.