"Bradmore village stands on an eminence one mile north of Bunny, with which parish it is united; it contains 401 inhabitants and 1,660 acres of land. A neat Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1830." WHITE's History, Directory and Gazetteer of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Bradmore is both a village and a parish about 6 miles south of Nottingham city and 9 miles north of Loughborough. The parish covers 1,254 acres.
Part of Bradmore village has been declared a Conservation Area to preserve the character of the village. The hamlet of Deepdale lies about 1.5 miles north-east of the village, as does the town of Ruddington. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A60 trunk road south out of Nottingham city. The A60 bisects the village about 6 miles south of the city.
Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the welcoming Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014.
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72:"
"BRADMORE, a parish in Basford district, Notts; 5½ miles SE of Beeston r. station, and 7 S of Nottingham. Post Town, Bunny, under Nottingham. Acres, 1,560. Real property, £2,556. Pop., 296. Houses, 71. Many of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Bunny, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church was long ago burnt, and has not been rebuilt."
As part of the Millennium celebrations recently, the parish decided to research all the families which have lived in the village, the houses they lived in and the names of the fields they cultivated. This document, which is now many hundreds of pages long, will be deposited in the Nottingham Record Office. (See "Bibliography" above.)
There are the 4 names listed on the War Memorial plaque in the Wesleyan Chapel:
Richard Henry ANDERSON
Thomas Bosworth COLLINS
The Nottingham Evening Post, for 2nd July 1919, published:
" CHALLANDS. – In ever-loving memory of Sergt. Fred Challands, Bradmore, died in Military Hospital of pneumonia, July 2nd, 1918, aged 21. Too dearly loved to be forgotten. – Sorrowing mother, father, brothers, sisters. "