GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Bramcote

"Bramcote, five miles west by south of Nottingham, is one of the most delightful villages and parishes in the whole county. It is seated upon several lofty hills, from which extensive and beautiful prospects are seen, and contains several handsome mansions occupied by their owners. It comprises 722 inhabitants and about 1,000 acres of rich, sandy land. John Sherwin Sherwin Esq. is lord of the manor and principal owner. At the enclosure in 1771, 32a 2r 5p were allotted to the Chesterfield School for the corn tithe, 23a 3p to Mr Hudson for the hay tithe, 4a 2r 9p to the vicar, and 5a to the churchwardens.

The church stands upon an abrupt eminence, has a low tower and three bells, and is annexed to the vicarage of Attenborough. A new parsonage was erected here in 1843 at a cost of £1,500, and has about twelve acres of glebe. The Rev. Wm. Hy. Cantrell M.A. is the resident officiating curate. J.S. Sherwin Esq. pays £20 yearly to the resident clergyman. Here lies interred Henry Handley Esq., whose charities to this and other parished are noticed. A Wesleyan chapel was built in 1834, and a National School in 1836. The church land now lets for £23 10s per annum, which goes to the repairs of the church. Thomas Hollingworth left Pilkington Close in 1675, which was exchanged by the Poor Law Commissioners in 1842 for a piece of land called the Clays, containing 6 acres, which now lets for £21 a year, the rent of which is equally divided between the poor of Bramcote, Long Eaton and Sawley. Bramcote Moor Close was purchased for the poor with £10 left in 1786 by Mary Charlton, and now lets for 25s yearly. Miss Fras. Jane Longden has just erected (1852) and endowed 4 almshouses, for 4 poor women."
[White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2492
1891 R.G. 12 / 2723
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Bramcote is both a village and a parish about 5 miles west-by-south from Nottingham city and 2 miles west of Beeston. The parish covers just over 1,060 acres of lofty hills.

The ancient Saxon farming village is now part of the conurbation of Nottingham. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page
.

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 354
1851 722
1861 691
1871 616
1881 751
1891 762
1901 745
1911 683
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 14-July-2013 - Louis R. Mills]