GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Brinsley

"BRINSLEY, or Brunsley, a hamlet and a chapelry in Greasley parish, Notts. The hamlet lies on the river Erewash, the Nottingham canal, and the Midland railway, near High-Park, 7 miles SE by S of Alfreton; and has a post office, of the name of Brinsley, under Alfreton. Pop., 1,139; chiefly stocking makers and colliers. The chapelry till very recently was annexed to the vicarage of Greasley, but is now a separate benefice. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, 133. Patron, the Duke of Newcastle. The church was built in 1862. There are two Wesleyan chapels."
[John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Note: This place is NOT an ancient parish in Nottingham. It was founded as a Civil Parish in 1896.

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Brinsley is both a township and a parish. The parish lies 137 miles north of London, 7 miles north-west of Nottingham and 2.5 miles north-west of Greasley. The parish borders Derbyshire on the west and covers 958 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1861 1,139
1871 1,316
1891 1,423
1901 1,418
1911 1,691
1921 1,953
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information
Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 16-September-2013 - Louis R. Mills]