"Broughton-Sulney, also known as Over-Broughton, 12 miles south-south-east of Nottingham, is a pleasant village, seated upon a declivity on the Melton-Mowbray Road, near the Leicestershire border, and at the foot of the Nottinghamshire Wolds, where the Roman Fosseway enters the county. The parish was enclosed about eighty years ago, and contains 394 inhabitants, and about 1,800 acres of clay land, which belongs principally to Thomas D. Hall Esq., William Brown, William Brett, Thomas and William Cross, and several other small freeholders, the former of whom is lord of the manor. At the enclosure, 240 acres were allotted to the rector in lieu of tithes.
The manor was anciently called Brocton, from its Norman owners. It afterwards passed to Alured de Sulene, from whom it received the name of Broughton-Sulney. It is sometimes called Over-Broughton, to distinguish it from Nether-Broughton, in Leicestershire.
The church has a nave, side aisles and a low tower with three bells. In the chancel are marble tablets to the memory of Mrs Burrell and Samuel Wright Esq., who died in 1839, and in the body are several belonging to the Brett family. The rectory, valued in the King's books at £11 9s 4½d, is in the patronage of Sir Joseph Radcliffe, of Campsall in Yorkshire. The Rev. Joseph Burrell is the incumbent. The General Baptists have had a chapel in the village since 1795. At the end of the village is an ancient cross, and near the rectory house is Woundheal Spring, so called from its supposed medicinal virtues."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2302|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3296|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2545|
This village and parish lie south-east of Nottingham on the road to Melton Mowbray near the border with Leicestershire.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 230 1841 371 1851 394 1871 370 1881 327 1891 345 1901 323
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.