"Calverton is a considerable village and parish, pleasantly situated in a narrow valley, 7 miles north-north-east of Nottingham. It contains 1,427 inhabitants and 3,325 acres of land, enclosed in 1780, when upwards of 400 acres were allotted to the appropriator and 203 acres to the vicar, in lieu of tithes. The Duke of Newcastle, as lord of the manor, also received a small allotment. The principal owners are the Duke of Portland, Lady Catherine Sherbrooke, Thomas Redgate Esq. and Mr Joseph Potts, besides several smaller freeholders.
Sansom Wood is a large farm on the western side of the parish, belonging to and occupied by the Duke of Portland. Near it are several other forest farms of considerable extent. Calverton House is a handsome mansion, the property of Lady Sherbrooke. There are also several other neat houses in the village. Calverton Lodge, 1 mile north, is a neat farm house occupied by Mr Richard Franks. The Rev. William Lee, the inventor of the stocking frame, was born here, and there are now in the village upwards of 400 of these complicated pieces of machinery." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Calverton is both a village and a parish about 7 miles north of Nottingham city and 8 miles south-west of Southwell. The Dover Beck flows throught the north-eastern edge of the parish on its way to join the River Trent. The parish covers 3,320 acres.
Locals refer to the village as "Calvo". If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A60 trunk road north out of Nottingham, bear right onto the A614 and take the second right, at the B6386 into Calverton.
You can see pictures of Calverton which are provided by:
A Free School for boys was founded by Jonathan LABRAY and built here before 1869. In 1881, each student paid 2d a week to attend.
Alan WILKINSON has written "Labrays; portrait of a village school 1718 to 1973", published by Midas of Nottingham, No ISBN known. No longer in print, but can be found at the Calverton Library and the Nottingham Central Library.