GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Car Colston

"Car Colston is a small village and parish situated 2½ miles north-north-west of Bingham, and contains 319 inhabitants, and 1,640 acres of strong clay land, of which Mrs Ellen Lower is the principal owner, lady of the manor, and impropriator. John Hacker Heathcote Esq., Rev. Robert Hall and Mr William Blagg are owners, and a few others have small estates. The houses mostly stand around two open commons, which contain about 23 acres.
At the Conquest, Coleston was partly ancient demesne, and partly of the fee of Roger de Busli, and passed successively to the Cheyneys, Lovetots, Vanxes, Colstons, Thorotons, Arnalls, Willoughbys &c.

The Church, dedicated to St Mary, has a handsome tower and four bells, and was appropriated to Worksop Priory in 1349. In Thoroton's time the tithes belonged to the Duke of Newcastle, but being charged with £20 yearly by the King, and £4 to the church of Lincoln, they were then of not much value to His Grace. The vicarage is valued in the King's books at £6 1s 10½d, now at £203. The Rev. John Chancourt Girardot is the incumbent, whose father purchased the right of patronage a few years ago. In 1842 the tithes were commuted at £315 for the impropriator, and £153 1s 6d for the vicar. In 1838 Mr Girardot took down the old vicarage, and erected, at a short distance, a handsome building in the Elizabethan style, with stone mullioned windows and other stone dressings, with neat grounds around. The parish feast is the Sunday after June 15th. In 1835 a small Wesleyan chapel was built by Mr John Marriott."

[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2483
1891 R.G. 12 / 2717
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel.

This parish and village lie about 120 miles north of London, 3 miles north-west from Aslocton, 2 miles north-east of Bingham parish and 12 miles east of Nottingham. The parish covers about 1,640 acres.

The Roman Fossway (Now the A46 arterial) passes through the north-west edge of the parish. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 152
1851 319
1861 299
1871 263
1881 276
1891 215
1901 217
1911 223
1921 243
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 21-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]