GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Carburton (or Carberton)

"Carburton or Carberton, is a small village on the west side of Clumber, upon the small River Wollen, on the Ollerton road, 4 miles south by east of Worksop. Its township and chapelry include Carburton Forge, a small hamlet, one mile west of the village, where there was formerly an iron forge. It contains 200 inhabitants and 1,516 acres of land. The Duke of Portland is lord of the manor and owner, with the exception of about 40 acres, which belong to the Duke of Newcastle, and are enclosed in Clumber Park. In the reign of Edward II, the Abbot of Welbeck enclosed Carburton Storth, though the inhabitants pleaded that it was part of their ancient demesne. The chapel, a small structure, with a small burial ground, is annexed to Edwinstowe. The turnpike from thence to Worksop and Newark was formed under acts passed in the 10th and 31st years of the reign of George III."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1891 R.G. 12 / 2647
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Carburton is a small village, a township, a chapelry and a parish on the River Poulter, 4 miles south-east of Worksop. The parish covers 2,276 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1861 177
1871 160
1881 191
1891 157
1901 148
1911 141
1921 150
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 12-February-2011 - Louis R. Mills]