"Carlton-in-Lindrick parish comprises the two townships and constablewicks of Carlton-in-Lindrick (sometimes called South Carlton) and Kingston-in-Carlton, pleasantly situated on the road betwixt Tickhill and Worksop, 4 miles north of the latter. In Saxon times it was of sufficient consequence to have six resident thanes, each having a hall or manor, but these were all possessed by Roger de Busli at the Norman Conquest. The family of Chevercourt held it under him, but their heirs failing, it was divided between the Latimers and the Fitzhughs, from whom it passed to the Dacres, Molyneux, Talors and Cliftons. The Hall, a beautiful modern mansion in a fine vale, a little west of South Carlton, was built by Mrs Ramsden, grandmother to Robert Ramsden Esq., the present lord of the manor, and principal owner. george Savile Foljambe, John Hunt, Edward Challenger and John Vessey Machine Esqs., Mrs Ann Spurr and the rector have estates here, the latter of whom received his portion at the enclosure in 1767, as a commutation of all the tithes of the parish, which contains 1,092 inhabitants and 4,070 acres of land. The church, dedicated to St John, is a handsome gothic edifice, with a tower and three bells, situated at South carlton. It underwent considerable repairs in 1831, when a new south aisle was erected, in unison with the rest of the building, which is in the style that prevailed at the time of Henry VI, and in 1851 a new clock was put up in the church at a cost of £200, by Robert Ramsden Esq. Under the new aisle, Sir Thomas White has formed a spacious family vault. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £15 3s 4d, now at £576. The Archbishop of York is the patron, and the Rev. Charles George Whitaker Smith the incumbent. The rectory is a large, neat mansion near the church." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Roger GEACH has a photograph of the Blue Bell Pub on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2010.
The Blue Bell Pub, at 110 High Road, was a good spot to catch up on local gossip. The Pub is still functioning. These are the names associated with the place in various directories:
There was no "Blue Bell" pub prior to 1912 in the Directories, but there was a "New Bell" Pub. It is not known if they are one and the same.
Martin DAWESH has a photograph of the Grey Horses Inn on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2012.
The Grey Horses Inn, at The Cross, was established in the 1800s and was popular with travellers. The inn is still functioning and has review website. These are the names associated with the place in various directories:
Charles CALEY, vict.
Mrs. Elizabeth CALEY
John Travis KEMP, grocer
John Travis KEMP, above, was born in Carlton, NTT, circa 1850. He was married to Ann from Worksop.