"Carlton-in-Lindrick parish comprises the two townships and constablewicks of Carlton-in-Lindrick (sometimes called South Carlton) and Kingston-in-Carlton, pleasantly situated on the road betwixt Tickhill and Worksop, 4 miles north of the latter. In Saxon times it was of sufficient consequence to have six resident thanes, each having a hall or manor, but these were all possessed by Roger de Busli at the Norman Conquest. The family of Chevercourt held it under him, but their heirs failing, it was divided between the Latimers and the Fitzhughs, from whom it passed to the Dacres, Molyneux, Talors and Cliftons.
The Hall, a beautiful modern mansion in a fine vale, a little west of South Carlton, was built by Mrs Ramsden, grandmother to Robert Ramsden Esq., the present lord of the manor, and principal owner. george Savile Foljambe, John Hunt, Edward Challenger and John Vessey Machine Esqs., Mrs Ann Spurr and the rector have estates here, the latter of whom received his portion at the enclosure in 1767, as a commutation of all the tithes of the parish, which contains 1,092 inhabitants and 4,070 acres of land.
The church, dedicated to St John, is a handsome gothic edifice, with a tower and three bells, situated at South carlton. It underwent considerable repairs in 1831, when a new south aisle was erected, in unison with the rest of the building, which is in the style that prevailed at the time of Henry VI, and in 1851 a new clock was put up in the church at a cost of £200, by Robert Ramsden Esq. Under the new aisle, Sir Thomas White has formed a spacious family vault. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £15 3s 4d, now at £576. The Archbishop of York is the patron, and the Rev. Charles George Whitaker Smith the incumbent. The rectory is a large, neat mansion near the church."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1841||H.O. 107 / 849|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2420|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2645 & 2646|
This village and parish lie 3 miles north of Worksop, up against the Yorkshire border.
If you are planning a visit to the village:
For a photograph of the Carlton War Memorial and a list of the names on it, see the Soputhwell Church History site.
Year Inhabitants 1801 737 1811 631 1851 1,054 1901 960
Find help, report problems, or contribute information