"Carlton-on-Trent is a pleasant village, township, and chapelry, situated on the Great North Road 2 miles north-west of Norwell, and 7 miles north of Newark, and has a good inn. The township contains 231 inhabitants and 846 acres of land. john Vere Esq. is the principal owner and lord of the manor, and resides at Carlton House, which was built in the last century, and was long the seat of Sir William Earle Welby, Bart. Mrs Hole and George Hutton Riddell Esq have estates and neat residences here. The chapel, a small ancient building with a brick tower, and annexed to the vicarage of Norwell, was pulled down in 1850, and a new church, dedicated to St Mary, erected on the site thereof, which was consecrated on the 11th of June 1851. It is a neat stone building in the early middle pointed style, and consists of a chancel 32 by 15 feet, a nave 18 by 40 feet, aisles 40 by 5 feet, and a tower 18 feet square and 66 feet high, surmounted by 5 pinnacles, given by James Vere Esq. as also was the organ. There are 250 sittings, 100 of which are free. The font is of carved stone and was the gift of the late Mrs Hutton Riddell, and the communion service was presented by Mrs Hole. The total cost of the building was about £1,600, raised by subscription, towards which the Vere family contributed £600, Joseph Smith Esq. £50 and G.H. Riddell Esq. £50. It is expected, on the death of the present incumbent, it will be formed into a separate district.
In 1849, a new school was erected, and supported by John Vere, Esq., it is a neat brick building. Carlton Steam Mill stands in Sutton parish, it was burnt down in 1831, was soon rebuilt; but was again burnt down, February, 1842 and was again rebuilt, and has an engine of 30 horse power.
The Great Northern Railway Co,, have a neat station, situated about 1 mile from the vilage on the Ossington road, from whence trains depart several times a day. Mr. John Ellis, is station master."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]