"Carlton-on-Trent is a pleasant village, township, and chapelry, situated on the Great North Road 2 miles north-west of Norwell, and 7 miles north of Newark, and has a good inn. The township contains 231 inhabitants and 846 acres of land. john Vere Esq. is the principal owner and lord of the manor, and resides at carlton house, which was built in the last century, and was long the seat of Sir William Earle Welby, Bart. Mrs Hole and heorge Hutton Riddell Esq have estates and neat residences here.
The chapel, a small ancient building with a brick tower, and annexed to the vicarage of Norwell, was pulled down in 1850, and a new church, dedicated to St Mary, erected on the site thereof, which was consecrated on the 11th of June 1851. It is a neat stone building in the early middle pointed style, and consists of a chancel 32 by 15 feet, a nave 18 by 40 feet, aisles 40 by 5 feet, and a tower 18 feet square and 66 feet high, surmounted by 5 pinnacles, given by James Vere Esq. as also was the organ. There are 250 sittings, 100 of which are free. The font is of carved stone and was the gift of the late Mrs Hutton Riddell, and the communion service was presented by Mrs Hole. The total cost of the building was about £1,600, raised by subscription, towards which the Vere family contributed £600, Joseph Smith Esq. £50 and G.H. Riddell Esq. £50. It is expected, on the death of the present incumbent, it will be formed into a separate district."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2475|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2710|
arlton-on-Trent is a village, a township and a parish. The parish lies on the River Trent and the Old North Road, 121 miles north of London and 7 miles north of Newark-on-Trent. The parish covers 870 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1861 290 1871 222 1881 196 1891 185 1901 172 1911 150 1921 187