"Caunton is a large but indifferently built village and parish, upon a small rivulet, 5 miles north-east by north of Southwell, and 6 miles north-west of Newark. Its parish has 539 inhabitants and 2,961 acres of land, of which 1,600 acres are in Caunton, 800 acres in Beesthorpe, and 500 in Knapthorpe. These form three separate manors, containing about 176 acres of woods. Lord Middleton and Samuel Hole Esq. are the principal owners of Caunton, and the latter is lord of the manor, and resides in the Manor House, a handsome modern mansion.
The church, dedicated to St Andrew, is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at £4 2s 1d, now £140, with Beesthorpe annexed. The Bishops of Ripon and Manchester are joint patrons of the living, the latter of which has the next presentation. The Rev. Samuel Reynolds Hole B.A. is the incumbent. The church is an ancient structure with nave, chancel, aisles and tower, in which are three bells. A stone coffin, dug up in the church-yard a few years ago, stands in the vestry. At the enclosure in 1793, 171 acres of land was awarded to the appropriator, and 124 to the vicar, in lieu of tithes."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2474|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2709|
Caunton is both a village and a parish about 129 miles north of London, 5 miles north-west of Newark and 7 miles south-west of Ollerton. The parish covers just over 3,100 acres. Beesthorpe and Knapthorpe are hamlets in the parish.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 366 1851 611 1861 596 1881 401 1901 345
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.