"Clarborough. This extensive parish is intersected by the Chesterfield Canal, and is skirted on the west by the River Idle, and extends from Retford to Hayton and Leverton. It contains 2,504 inhabitants and 3,410 acres of land, of the rateable value of £6,500. It is divided into the five hamlets of Clarborough, Bolham, Little Gringley, Moorgate and Welham, which repair their own roads separately, but maintain their poor conjointly. At the enclosure of Clarborough and Welham commons in 1777, two allotments, consisting of 197a 2r 37p in the former, and 133a 2r 13p in the latter, were awarded to the lay impropriator (now the Duke of Devonshire) in lieu of the great tithes, and they have since been sold to various freeholders. At the same time, 43a 2r 12p in Clarborough, and 43a 0r 25p in Welham, were alloted to the vicar, as a commutation of the small tithes of those hamlets. The impropriation of Little Gringley was sold about twenty years ago to A.H. Eyre Esq., and the of Bolham and Moorgate to the late Hon. J.B. Simpson of Babworth.
The charities belonging to this parish are a yearly rent charge of £3 6s 8d out of the rectory farm to the poor; £4 per annum left by William Broadhead to the poor of Moorgate and Spittal Hill, out of a house and land at Moorgate; 9s yearly to the poor of Clarborough, left by Mr Fisher, out of land at Welham; an annuity of 14s left by George Mower, to the poor of Clarborough; and an annuity of 10s paid out of the poor rates as the interest of £12, left by Mr Andrew.
CLARBOROUGH is a straggling village on the Retford and Gainsborough road, 2½miles N.E. by E. of the former town; it contains about 1200 acres of land, principally owned by G. S. Foljambe, Henry Bridgeman Simpson, William Fisher, and Henry Clark Hutchinson Esqrs., Rev, C. Hodge, Mr. Bingham, aud Mr. Bartlett; the former of whom is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a venerable structure with a nave, chancel, side aisles, and tower, in which are three belis. It was founded, endowed, and consecrated, in 1258, by Sewal, Archbishop ef York, who gave it to his newly founded chapel of St. Sepulchre, of York, but reserved for the vicar, a toft and croft lying near the churchyard; the tithes of the enclosed crofts of the town, and of the mills at Belham, and also the altarage; on condition that he should support two chaplains to serve at Gringley, Welham, and Bolham."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]