"This village and parish lies on the River Smite, bordering upon Leicestershire, 5 miles south of Bingham, and contains 337 inhabitants and about 2,400 acres of land, of which 1,800 acres belong to the lord of the manor and impropriator, Henry D. Martin Esq., to whose father it was bequeathed by the Honourable Mrs Kaye, sister to Viscount Westworth, whose ancestors bought it in 1714 of Sir Edward Godling. The other part belongs to Mrs Pigon of Reading, and several other freeholders. The manor anciently belonged to the family of Basset, and from then descended to the Staffords, Dukes of Buckingham, from whom it descended to various families.
The church, dedicated to St Mary, stands half a mile from the village. It is an ancient edifice with south aisle, chancel, and low tower, in which is an excellent peal of five musical bells. It is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at £8 7s 6d, now £300. It has 42 acres of glebe. The patronage is in the gift of the Crown, and the Rev. Joshua Brooke is the incumbent. The vicarage, which formerly stood in front of the hall, was taken down about 17 years ago, and a neat mansion built a little more to the north. Here is a neat Catholic chapel, erected in 1840, and the priest is the Rev. Joseph Bick. A Primitive Methodist chapel was also built in the same year. The parish feast is on Whit Sunday."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]