GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Colston Bassett

"This village and parish lies on the River Smite, bordering upon Leicestershire, 5 miles south of Bingham, and contains 337 inhabitants and about 2,400 acres of land, of which 1,800 acres belong to the lord of the manor and impropriator, Henry D. Martin Esq., to whose father it was bequeathed by the Honourable Mrs Kaye, sister to Viscount Westworth, whose ancestors bought it in 1714 of Sir Edward Godling. The other part belongs to Mrs Pigon of Reading, and several other freeholders.
The manor anciently belonged to the family of Basset, and from then descended to the Staffords, Dukes of Buckingham, from whom it descended to various families.
The church, dedicated to St Mary, stands half a mile from the village. It is an ancient edifice with south aisle, chancel, and low tower, in which is an excellent peal of five musical bells. It is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at £8 7s 6d, now £300. It has 42 acres of glebe. The patronage is in the gift of the Crown, and the Rev. Joshua Brooke is the incumbent. The vicarage, which formerly stood in front of the hall, was taken down about 17 years ago, and a neat mansion built a little more to the north. Here is a neat Catholic chapel, erected in 1840, and the priest is the Rev. Joseph Bick. A Primitive Methodist chapel was also built in the same year. The parish feast is on Whit Sunday."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2485
1891 R.G. 12 / 2716
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Colston Bassett is a village and a parish on the River Smite, 5 miles south of Bingham, 10 miles south-east from Nottingham city and sits on the western edge of the Vale of Belvoir. The parish borders on Leicestershire to the south-east and covers 2,391 acres. The Grantham Canal passes to the south of the parish.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 220
1841 403
1851 337
1861 297
1881 310
1901 302
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 21-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]