"COSTOCK, or Cortlingstock, a parish in the district of Loughborough and county of Nottingham; on an affluent of the river Soar, adjacent to the boundary with Leicester, 4 miles E of Kegworth r. station, and 8 S of Nottingham. Post town, East Leake, under Loughborough. Acres, 1,320. Real property, £2,648. Pop., 440. Houses, 103. The property is divided among a few. Some of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £395. Patron, the Rev.S. Millard. The church is ungainly but good."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]