"Cotgrave, or as it was anciently called Codegrave, is a large village and parish, pleasantly situated on the north side of the Wolds, 6 miles south-east of Nottingham. It contains 817 inhabitants, and 3,520 acres of land at a rental of £5,341. Earl Manvers is sole proprietor, and lord of the manor, except 555 acres, which were allotted to the rector in lieu of tithes, at the enclosure about 60 years ago, and a small portion held by small freeholders. The high grounds on each side of the village contain an abundance of blue marl, intermixed with layers of red clay. Cotgrave Place is a handsome and pleasantly situated mansion, the property of Earl Manvers, and seat of Colonel Chas. John Hill."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]