GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Cotgrave (Codegrave)

"Cotgrave, or as it was anciently called Codegrave, is a large village and parish, pleasantly situated on the north side of the Wolds, 6 miles south-east of Nottingham. It contains 817 inhabitants, and 3,520 acres of land at a rental of £5,341. Earl Manvers is sole proprietor, and lord of the manor, except 555 acres, which were allotted to the rector in lieu of tithes, at the enclosure about 60 years ago, and a small portion held by small freeholders. The high grounds on each side of the village, contain an abundance of blue marl, intermixed with layers of red clay. Cotgrave Place is a handsome and pleasantly situated mansion, the property of Earl Manvers, and seat of Colonel Chas. John Hill."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Archives and Libraries

The Cotgrave Rural Library was established in 1850 with 1,600 volumes.

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2485
1891 R.G. 12 / 2718
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel.

This parish and village lie 7 miles south-east of Nottingham and 3.5 miles south of Radcliffe. Stragglethorpe is a hamlet in this parish.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Year  Person
1869 Samuel TIMM
1881 John Archer TIMM
1912 George HICKLING
Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Population
1801 596
1851 833
1871 831
1881 818
1891 702
1901 659
1911 656
1921 617
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 24-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]