"Cotham is a small village on the east bank of the Devon, 4 miles south of Newark. It contains 98 inhabitants, and 1,210 acres of land valued at £1,700, all belonging to the Duke of Portland, who is the impropriator and patron of the church, which is dedicated to St Michael. The church was partly rebuilt, a porch being added, and new pewed in 1832. The living is a donative valued at £35, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. John Ince Maltby of Shelton. This place was long the seat of the knightly families of Leek and Markham, but it is now divided into three farms, occupied by John Booth, William Hodgkinson and Thomas Rose, the latter of whom resides at Cotham Lodge, a pleasant residence, commanding fine prospects."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]