GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Cromwell

"Cromwell is a small well-built village and parish, on the Great North Road, five miles north of Newark, and contains 190 inhabitants and 1,350 acres of land, which were exonerated from tithe at the enclosure in 1772, when 240 acres were awarded to the rector in lieu of tithes.
It was anciently the seat of the Cromwell family, one of who was the Lord Tresaurer Cromwell, who lived in great splendour at Tattershall Castle, in Lincolnshire, in the reign of Henry VI. The Duke of newcastle is the principal owner, lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £13 2s 3½d, now £420. The Rev. Charles John Fiennes Clinton is the incumbent, for whom the Rev. Samuel Turner officiates. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells, and has a neat rectory house near. There is a small school in the village, supported by the rector. The feast is on the first Sunday after the 12th of September."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2474
1891 R.G. 12 / 2710
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

This village and parish are 5 miles north of Newark-on-Trent. The parish covers 1,170 acres

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 203
1851 190
1901 111
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 29-March-2014 - Louis R. Mills]