"(Norton) Cuckney parish extends eastward from Creswell Crags, in Derbyshire, to near Thoresby Park, and is bounded on the north by Welbeck, and on the south by Church Warsop. It is watered by the small River Poulter, and contains 1,757 inhabitants and 5,127 acres of good forest land, principally sand, but partly clay, black vegetable, and hazel loam soils, all enclosed, but partly in plantations and extensive pastures, and is divided into four townships - Cuckney, Holbeck, Langwith, and Norton (Cuckney). Cuckney parish participates in Dame Frances Pierrepont's charity, of which the chapter of Southwell are trustees.
Cuckney is a neat, well-built, pleasant village on the Poulter, 5 miles south by south-west of Worksop, and 6 miles north-west of Ollerton, containing 600 souls and 1,095 acres of land. Here are two large mills, for spinning cotton and grinding corn, with the ruins of a cotton mill which was burnt down in 1792, occasioned by the carelessness of a boy taking hot cinders from a grate in a wooden coal-skep and leaving it in one of the upper rooms. The fire was first discovered by the postman, who rode through the village at three o'clock in the morning. He gave an alarm, and every assistance was got as quick as possible, but by eight it was burnt to the ground."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1841||H.O. 107 / 849|
|1851||H.O. 107 / 2122|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2422|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3463|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2647|
This village, township and parish lie 5.5 miles west-by-south of Worksop. The parish covers 5, 510 acres. The parish includes 4 townships: Cuckney, Norton, Holbeck, and Langwith. The township includes also the hamlets of Bonbusk and Milnthorpe.
If you are planning a visit to the village:
Year Cuckney Holbeck Langwith Norton 1811 397 226 361 289 1851 620 255 275 398 1901 489 224 322 277
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.