"Darlton is a small village, township and parochial chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Dunham, and situated on the road to Dunham Bridge, 3 miles north-east by east of Tuxford. It contains 185 inhabitants and 1,364 acres of land, enclosed about 1765. It formerly belonged to the Cartwright, Walker and Calvert families, the latter of whom sold it out in small lots. The principal owners are Sir William Welby, bart., Thomas Newstead, Joseph Walton, William Jackson and William Mee Esq., the latter of whom is lord of the manor. There are also several other smaller owners. The church is a small, venerable structure, dedicated to St Giles, and the living is a perpetual curacy, of which the vicar of Dunham is patron and incumbent. The great tithes are appropriated to Southwell Collegiate Church, and are let to Samuel Crowley Esq. A small Methodist chapel was built about 40 years ago. In the parish are the farm houses at Honeywell, Outgang and Kingsbaugh House, the latter of which is a farm of 270 acres, the property of Sir William Welby, bart. It is an ancient moated building, erected by King John, who converted the King's hay or wood into a park, "and made war in this place" against his brother, Richard I." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Darlton is a parish and a village in the northern part of Nottinghamshire. The parish lies 127 miles north of London, 3 miles north-east of Tuxford, 6 miles south-west of the centre of Nottingham city, and 7 miles south-east of East Retford. The parish covered just over 1,500 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, from the A1 south out of Blyth, take the A57 east (left) at West Drayton about 5 miles to Darlton.
You can see pictures of Darlton which are provided by:
Kingshaugh House was a hunting lodge built to serve the eastern Le Clay division of Sherwood Forest. In an 1196 rebellion against King John the site was fortified with earthworks. A new lodge was built in 1211 and abandoned in 1217.
The present Kingshaugh House was built in the late 17th century as a farmhouse, using some stones from the older building.