GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

East Bridgford (or Bridgeford on the Hill)

"East Bridgford, or Bridgeford on the Hill, is a large and well built village, on the summit of a precipitous bank, that rises on the south side of the Trent, opposite Gunthorpe Ferry. The parish contains 1,155 inhabitants, and 1,910 acres of loamy land, which was enclosed in 1798, when 326 acres (now called New Bridgford), were allotted in lieu of rectorial tithes. The greater part of the parish belongs to Magdalen College, Oxford, with the remainder belonging to several freeholders.

In the parish is found both opaque and transparent gypsum, the latter of which is very beautiful, and during the last twenty years has been in great demand amongst the lepidaries of Derby and other places, who turn it into beads and various other ornaments, in which it looks as brilliant and richly variegated as the Derbyshire spar. here are several neat mansions on the village, occupied by Captain Geo. Bohun Martin, Mrs Brooks, and Geo. Beaumont Esq."

[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 853
1861 R.G. 9 / 2483
1881 R.G. 11 / 3380
1891 R.G. 12 / 2717
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

The town lies about 122 miles north of London, 10 miles north-east of Nottingham, 10 miles south-west from Newark and 23 miles north-north-west of Bingham. The town is on the eastern bank of the River Trent near an ancient ford to Gunthorpe in Nottinghamshire. An iron bridge leading to Gunthorpe was built and opened in 1875. The parish covers about 1,600 acres.

Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2009.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

For another photograph of the War Memorial and for the list of names on it, see the Nottinghamshire County Council site.

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 526
1811 662
1821 768
1831 938
1841 1,110
1851 1,155
1861 1,078
1871 934
1881 895
1891 866
1901 756
1911 797
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.01

[Last updated: 2-August-2014 - Louis R. Mills]


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.