"Leake (East), 10 miles south by west of Nottingham, is a large and well built village, on the south bank of a small rivulet, that flows westward through the Wolds to the Soar, near Kingston. Its parish contains 2,530 acres of land, and 1,149 inhabitants, many of whom are framework knitters. At the enclosure in 1798, 466 acres were allotted in lieu of tithes. The rest belongs to several proprietors, of whom Messrs Burrows, T.D. Hall Esq., Mrs Anthony, Wm. Woodroffe, the Rev. S.V. Dashwood, and the heirs of Lord Rancliffe, are the principal owners. The latter is also lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St Mary, is a venerable looking edifice, with a low tower, surmounted by a fine lofty spire. The rectory is united with West Leake, and valued in the King's books at £25 4s 7d, now £719. The Rev. John Bateman is the incumbent, and patron of the living, he having purchased the right of patronage from the Marquis of Hastings in 1830. The chancel has been repaired, and the church repewed. The Baptists have a large, handsome chapel, erected in 1763, and enlarged in 1839. The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1798, and enlarged in 1827. A small infant school was erected in 1850 at a cost of £200. A hiring for servants is held on Candlemas Day, and the first and last Fridays in November."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2278|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3259|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2518|
This parish and village are in southwest Nottinghamshire and lie about 120 miles north of London, 5 miles north of Loughborough (in Leicestershire) and 9 miles due south of Nottingham. The parish covers 2,540 acres.
The village sits along a small stream that flows into the Soar River. If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1801 608 1851 1,148 1871 1,031 1881 943 1891 819 1901 876 1911 973 1921 1,023 1931 1,162 1951 2,117
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.