"MARKHAM (EAST), a village and a parish in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands adjacent to the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile NNW of Tuxford r. station; is a pretty place; and has a post office, of the name of Markham, under Newark. The parish includes also the hamlets of Markham-Moor and Sipthorpe-Place, and comprises 2,820 acres. Real property, £5,547. Pop. in 1851, 956; in 1861, 807. Houses, 189. The decrease of pop. was chiefly caused by the removal of labourers employed on railway works. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Newcastle. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of West Drayton, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £334. Patron, the Duke of Newcastle. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with lofty embattled tower; and contains some old monuments and armorial paintings, and a tomb of Judge Markham who died in 1409. There are a chapel for Wesleyans, a slightly endowed school, and charities £34."
John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2417|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2642|
- East Markham church banner (40KB).
- East Markham church nave (126KB).
- East Markham church chancel (40KB).
- Judge Markham's tomb in the church (20KB).
The parish lies just west of the River Trent between the A1 motorway and the A57 trunk road. The parish covers 2,666 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1851 956 1861 807 1871 816 1881 752 1891 693 1901 696 1911 790 1921 737 1931 872 1991 1,045
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.