"East Stoke is a pleasant village on the south bank of the Trent, and on the Roman Fosseway, four miles south-west of Newark. It contains 408 inhabitants and 1,580 acres of land, exclusive of Newark castle liberty, which forms a part of its township, and contains 104 acres. Its Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction includes Elston Chapel, and the parochial chapelries of Coddington and Syerston.
Stoke Hall is a large handsome mansion, overlooking the vale of the Trent, with extensive pleasure grounds and picturesque scenery. It is the seat of Sir Robert Howe Bromley, Bart., who is the principal owner and lord of the manor. The church stands on an eminence near the Hall, and is dedicated to St Oswald. It has a prebendal stall in Lincoln Cathedral occupied by the chancellor of that church, who has the appropriation of the rectorial tithes and patronage of the vicarage, and the Rev. Henry Dale M.A. is the incumbent. The living is valued in the king's books at £8 13s, now £372. The tithes were commuted at the enclosure for about 250 acres of land. The church is a neat edifice with nave, chancel, and tower with four bells. the vicarage is a neat house, a little south of the village. There was anciently a hospital dedicated to St Leonard, for a master, chaplain, brethren and sick persons. A day school was established in 1847 by Sir Robert and Lady bromley, and is chiefly supported by them, but the children of the labouring classes pay 2d, those of farmers and tradespeople 3d, and children requiring a more extended education 6d per week. John Lightfoot D.D., a celebrated Hebrician, was born here in 1602 and died in 1675."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1851||H.O. 107 / 303 - 309|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2472|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 1995|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2708|
This small village and parish are about 6 miles south-west of Newark on Trent. The River Trent forms the north-west border of the parish. The parish covers 1,687 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
For a list of the names on the two War Memorial plaques in the church, see the Southwell Churches History Project site.
Year Population 1801 293 1831 606 1851 586 1901 331
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.