We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


EASTWOOD, a village and a parish in Basford district, Notts. The. village stands on the verge the county, adjacent to the Erewash river and canal, and the Erewash Valley railway, near Langley-Mill r. station, 9 miles NW by N of Nottingham; and has a post office under Nottingham, and fairs on the first Monday of May and the Monday after 11 Oct. The parish comprises 940 acres. Real property, £14,126; of which £9, 326 are in mines. Pop., 1,860. Houses, 383. The property is much subdivided. Coal is very extensively worked, and contains many fossils. Stocking-making also is largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £360. 8 Patron, J. I. Plumptre, Esq. The church is modern, and in the decorated English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel. John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72


  • The Cemetery of 4 acres was opened in 1890 on Knapp Avenue with one mortuary chapel. It was managed by the Burial Board of the Broxtowe District Council.
  • The Cemetery had expanded to 7 acres by 1912.
  • The chapel at the cemetery was destroyed by fire in early 2014. The cause appeared to be arson.
  • St. Mary, Church St., Church of England


  • The parish was in the Greasley sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
CensusYear Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 857
1861 R.G. 9 / 2431
1891 R.G. 12 / 2659


  • St. Mary, Church St., Church of England

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Eastwood area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Mary.
  • There has been a church on this site since 1250.
  • This church was rebuilt in 1858 on the site of the old church.
  • The church seated 740.
  • The church was partially destroyed by fire in 1963, leaving the tower untouched. The fire had been started by two 15-year-old boys.
  • The present church was added to the tower in 1967.
  • David KELLEY has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2014.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish registers exist from 1711. Earlier registers were destroyed by a fire in the rectory in 1711.
  • The Notts Archives Office has the parish register covering the period from 1711 to 1834.
  • The church was in the No. 1 deanery of Nottingham (or the rural deanery of Mansfield).
  • The International Genealogical Index (IGI) includes records from this parish for the period 1750-1859.
  • The Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1835. It was replaced in 1876.
  • David BEVIS has a photograph of the Wesleyan Chaple on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2007.
  • The Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1898.
  • The Congregational chapel was opened in August, 1868. It is now a frozen food retail shop. This was the place where the LAWRENCE family (of D. H. LAWRENCE fame) worshipped.
  • The Baptists also had a chapel here before 1883. The present Baptist chapel is on Percy Street.
  • The Roman Catholic church of "Our Lady of Good Council" was on the Derby Road in 1894.
  • There is a modern-day Catholic Church on Nottingham Road.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Greasley sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description and Travel

This small town and parish lie 135 miles north of London and 8 miles north-west from Nottingham city. The parish borders on Derbyshire, covers 940 acres and includes the hamlet of Langley Mill (which also lies partly in Heanor parish).

The Erewash River runs just west of the village. Nottingham Road is the principal street in the village. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A610 arterial road north-west out of Nottingham. The road passes along the southern edge of the village.
  • Bus service is provided by Trent Barton.
  • The nearest railway station is at Langley Mill.
You can see pictures of Eastwood which are provided by:

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Eastwood has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


  • Much of the parish workforce was employed either as frame-work knitters or colliers in the 1800s. The Butterley Company owned and operated the colliery.
  • The town library was established in 1840.
  • The Mechanics Institution was built in 1864.
  • This is the birthplace of D. H. LAWRENCE (1885 to 1930). From 1902 to 1906, LAWRENCE served as a Pupil Teacher at the British School in Eastwood.
  • After retiring from Naval service at the age of 36, Dr. Benjamin DRAWATER went to live at Eastwood to practise medicine. It is here that he married Dorothy TOPLIS in October, 1785. Dr. DRAWATER had served as ship's surgeon on some of Captain COOK's voyages. He died in 1815, after moving to Mansfield.
  • The Statutes Fair for hiring servants was held each November.


  • Trevor RICKARD has a photograph of Eastwood Hall on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2011. The Hall was built in 1810.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK465469 (Lat/Lon: 53.017368, -1.308293), Eastwood which are provided by:

Military Records

There was a Boer War Memorial in the church, apparently destroyed by the fire. It was a marble tablet on the south wall of the church. It was dedicated in 1904. No known photographs exist. Luckily a newspaper article allowed the Roll of Honour to be captured for posterity.

The War Memorial was erected in 1921 and contains the list of men killed in World War I. The men of World War II were added after that war and the memorial was moved to Plumptre Way. We have a list of names from the monument provided by Dai BEVAN.

There is a photograph of the War Memorial at the Nottinghamshire Govt. Site along with a complete list of names.


  • The local newspaper in the early 1900s was the Eastwood and Kimberley Advertiser, published every friday on Nottingham Road by Geo. C. BRITTAIN and Sons Ltd..

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in northern Nottingham county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • This parish was in the south division of the ancient Broxtowe Hundred or Wapentake.
  • On 1 April, 1935, some 226 acres were gained from the Civil Parish of Greasley.
  • You may contact the local Eastwood Town Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to provide family history searches for you.
  • District governance is provided by the Broxtowe Burrough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1791.
  • In 1815, Benjamin DRAWATER left the interest on £21 for distribution to the poor as bread given out on Christmas day.
  • In 1836, Thomas HARRISON left the interest on £100 for distribution to the poor as bread in each February.
  • The parish built 12 almshouses around 1885 with a bequest from T. BARBER.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became a part of the Basford Poor Law Union.


Year Inhabitants
1801 735
1821 1,206
1841 1,621
1861 1,860
1871 2,540
1881 3,566
1891 4,363
1901 4,815
1911 4,692
1921 5,069
1931 5,360


  • In 1869 the parish had three National Schools for boys, girls and infants.
  • In 1883 the National School was on Church Street.
  • The Eastwood Junior School dates from 1910. This school is next to St. Mary's Church.
  • The Eastwood Comprehensive School is a more recent school out on Mansfield Road.