GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Elksley (Elcheslsig)

"Elksley Parish lies on the east side of Clumber Park, and is intersected by the Wollen, but the village of Elksley is pleasantly situated on the north bank of that river, near its confluence with the Idle, 4 miles north-north-west of Tuxford. It contains about 450 inhabitants and 2,562 acres of land, including about 400 acres in wood and plantations, a large portion of which formed a wild tract of the forest, till 1780, when it was closed and exonerated from tithes, and an allotment of 66 acres awarded to the King, as Duke of Lancaster, under which Duchy the Duke of Newcastle olds this manor of Elksley, or Elchesleig. The trustees of the late John Sharpe Esq., and St John's College, Cambridge, also have estates here, the latter of which is held on a leasehold tenuity by His Grace. It was partly soc to Bothamsall and of the fee of Roger de Busli. A great portion of the land was given to the monasteries of Worksop, Blyth, Rufford, Newark, Mattersea and Welbeck, and to the latter belonged the rectory and church, which in the 4th year of Edward VI was granted to Richard Winlove and Richard Field, and afterwards passed to the Earl of Clare, who descendant, the Duke of Newcastle, is patronage of the vicarage, which is valued in the King's books at £6 16s, now at £120, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Cornelius Postlethwaite M.A., who resides at the vicarage, a commodious house at the south side of the village, overlooking the vale of the Wollen. The rector receives from the owners, as a commutation of the small tithes of the old enclosure, about £80 a year, and possesses an allotment of 83 acres of the new enclosures."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2416
1891 R.G. 12 / 2641
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Elkesley is a village and a parish on the north bank of the River Poulter, 5 miles south of Retford. and 136 miles north of the city of London The parish covers 2,560 acres.

The village is on the north bank of the River Wollen. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year Population
1801 291
1841 414
1851 404
1861 362
1871 377
1901 282
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 9-August-2013 - Louis R. Mills]