"Elston, 5 miles south-south-west of Newark, is a straggling village and parish, comprised of two irregularly built streets, containing 380 inhabitants and 1,491 acres of land, valued at £1,775 17s 4d, forming two manors, distinguished by the names of Church Parish and Chapel Parish, from the latter having a small ancient chapel annexed by East Stoke. Francis Darwin Esq., Sir Robert H. Bromley Bart., John Brockton and George Fillingham Esqs. are the principal owners, the former of who, is lord of the manor. Elston Hall, a handsome and commodious mansion, rebuilt a few years ago by the late W.B. Darwin Esq., at a cost of upwards of £11,000, is now occupied by John Thorpe Esq.
The church is dedicated to All Saints, and in 1837, W.B. Darwin Esq. expended the munificent sum of £2,000 in restoring and beautifying it, and it now forms an elegant edifice consisting of nave, chancel, two side aisles, and a lofty tower surmounted by four pinnacles. In the church are no less than fourteen marble monuments to the Darwin family, and also one in brass, to the memory of the above named gentleman, who died soon after the restoration of the church. The rectory is valued in the King's books at £9 8s 9d, now £300, and is in the gift of Francis Darwin Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. H. Robert Harrison B.D. The tithes were all commuted for 161 acres, 1 rood and 31 perches of land, in 1798. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The former was built in 1815, and the latter in 1839. It also contains a lodge of Odd Fellows, and a sick club, which holds its feast on the Monday before June 24th."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]