"Elston Manor forms a separate manor, in which is a chapel of ease annexed to the vicarage of East Stoke. It is a small, ancient structure, having a fine Saxon arched doorway. Sir R.H. Bromley, Bart., is the principal owner and lord of the manor. The ecclesiastical division of this chapelry is undefinable." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
The parish was in the Southwell sub-district of the Southwell Registration District.
The table below gives census piece numbers, where known: