"Elton Parish is but of small extent, consisting only of 965 acres, and a small village with 79 inhabitants. It is on the Grantham Road, near the verge of the county, 4 miles east by south of Bingham.
In the Saxon times it was called Ayleton, and was afterwards of the fee of Roger de Busli, who gave it to the Priory of Blyth. At the dissolution it was granted to the family of York, from whom it passed to the Lions, Mores, Collins and Launders, and is now possessed by William Fletcher Norton Norton Esq., who resides in the manor house, a large and handsome mansion.
William Fletcher Norton Norton Esq. is patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £8 0s 5d, now £286, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Robert Weatherell. The church, dedicated to St Michael, is a small humble edifice, which Thoresby describes as being "dove house topped". The parish was enclosed in 1808, when land was allotted in lieu of all tithes. The feast is on Sunday after old Michaelmas Day."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2484|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2717|
This small village and parish lie near the Leicestershire border in the Vale of Belvoir. 5 miles east-south-east of Bingham. The parish covers almost 1,000 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 90 1851 79 1881 76 1901 51
Find help, report problems, or contribute information