We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Epperstone

"Epperston parish has a pleasant and well built village, in the vale of the Dover Beck, 7 miles south-west of Southwell. It contains 511 inhabitants and 2,343 acres of land, of which 250 acres are in woods. The common was enclosed in 1768, when 254 acres were allotted in lieu of tithes. Thomas Holdsworth Esq. is principal owner and lord of the manor, but Thomas Moore, John Towle, John Litchfield, John, Thomas and William Barnard, and Henry Sherbrooke Esquires also have estates here. The free school was purchased in 1838 with money raised by subscription, and a grant from the National Society. About 100 children are now taught in the school. Litchfield library was founded in 1839 by John Litchfield Esq. It contains 2,250 volumes, on philosophical and miscellaneous subjects, available to all subscribers of sixpence per quarter, paid in advance. The books were kept at the shoolroom till 1843, when the worthy donor erected a neat building, and vested it, together with the library, in the following trustees, for the use of the parishioners of Epperston, viz: John Litchfield Esq., John Barnard Esq., The Rev. Thomas White, and their successors." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Archives and Libraries

The Library was founded in 1839 by John LITCHFIELD. Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the old Library Lintel on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009.

Bibliography

  • James GUNN, "A History of Epperstone", ISBN 978-09544806-08, publ. 2003, paperback, 136 pages.

Cemeteries

Census

  • The parish was in the Southwell sub-district of the Southwell Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
CensusYear Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 865
1861 R.G. 9 / 2471
1891 R.G. 12 / 2707

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Epperstone area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • There was a church here at the time of the 1086 Domesday Survey, evidence of a church here in Saxon times.
  • This structure is probably the third church to stand on this site.
  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to the Holy Cross. It is built of Epperstone stone with Mansfield stone dressings.
  • The current church building dates from around 1250.
  • The church tower was added in the 14th century.
  • The church was thouroghly restored in 1853 and re-opened in March, 1854.
  • The church was restored again in 1879.
  • The church seats 250.
  • The church is a Grade I listed building with British Heritage.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of Holy Cross Church on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009.
  • There is another photograph of Holy Cross Church at Geo-graph, taken in July, 2009.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1582 for all entries and is in good condition.
  • The London Family History Centre has "Marriages at Epperstone, 1582 - 1812" on microfilm #0496689.
  • The London FHC also has "Bishop's Transcripts for Epperstone, 1605 - 1848" on microfilm #0504062.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Gedling.
  • There were once two Methodist chapels in Epperstone, but both appear to have closed. One is now a Social Institute.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Primitive Methodist date stone of 1851 on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Southwell sub-district of the Southwell Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description and Travel

The parish, township and village of Epperstone lies in the valley of the Dover Beck and covers 2,300 acres. It is 130 miles north of the city of London, 6 miles south-west of Southwell near Lowdham and 3 miles west of Thurgarton.

Epperstone village was granted a Conservation Order in 1972 in order to preserve the traditional village from major development. A number of buildings date back to the 16th and 17th centuries. Today it is mostly a commuter's village.

  • Stop by the Village Hall on Gonalson Lane, near the cricket field, to check the activities list.
You can see pictures of Epperstone which are provided by:

Directories

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Epperstone has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Epperstone to another place.

History

  • Roman coins have been found in the parish.
  • In the 1800s most people in the parish were frame-work knitters making stockings.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Cross Keys Public House on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009.
  • The Cross Keys Pub on the Main Street has long been a good spot to chat with the locals. Here are the names associated with the Inn in various Directories:
Year  Person
1853 John WHEATLEY, vict.
1869 Edwin SAMPSON
1876 Edwin SAMPSON
1881 John NEEDHAM
1904 --- BIRKIN

John NEEDHAM, above, was only 19 in the 1881 census, born Arnold, Nottinghamshire. He and his three younger brothers were running the Inn.

  • The Kings Head Inn also dished up news and gossip. Here are the names associated with the Inn in various Directories:
Year  Person
1853 Sarah CUTTS, vict.
1869 William SKINNER, wheelwright
1881 William SKINNER
1901 Thomas Francis LUCKETT

William SKINNER, above, was 68 in the 1881 census, born Nottingham.

Manors

  • The Manor House, sitting in a park of 70 acres, was occupied by Sir Francis LEY, bart. J.P., in 1912, who was lord of the manor.

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK652485 (Lat/Lon: 53.029802, -1.029251), Epperstone which are provided by:

Military History

  • In 1904, H Company of the 4th Volunteer Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters is listed here. Captain Thos. William HUSKINGTON, commanding.
  • In 1912, H Company of the 8th Territorial Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters is listed here. Major Thomas William HUSKINGTON, commanding.

Military Records

For a photograph of the War Memorial plaque in the church and the names listed on it, see the Southwell Churches History Project site.

There is one Commonwealth War Grave in the Holy Cross churchyard from World War II:

  1. Ernest Arthur BRINDLE, corp., Royal Army Reserve Corps, age 41, died 29 Jan. 1947. Son of Sarah BRINDLE, husband of Edith Annie BRINDLE.

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the south division of the ancient Thurgaton Wapentake (Hundred) in the north-east division of the county.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
  • The poor had the rents from four tenements purchased in 1765 bequeathed by Mary LEAKE.
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1768.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Southwell Poor Law Union.
  • The London FHC has the "Parish Chest for Epperstone, 1706 - 1888" on microfilm #1526160. The original material is also in the Nottinghamshire Archives Office.

Population

Year Population
1801 422
1851 511
1861 518
1871 436
1881 435
1891 378
1901 362
1911 380
1921 408

Schools

  • Epperstone Free School was purchased in 1838 with money raised by subscription and a grant from the National Society. Prior to 1843, the school also housed the Litchfield Library.
  • The recent school building was built in 1855 and is now the Epperstone Church of England School. It was modernised in the 1960s and closed in 1985.