GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Epperstone (Epperston)

"Epperston parish has a pleasant and well built village, in the vale of the Dover Beck, 7 miles south-west of Southwell. It contains 511 inhabitants and 2,343 acres of land, of which 250 acres are in woods. The common was enclosed in 1768, when 254 acres were allotted in lieu of tithes. Thomas Holdsworth Esq. is principal owner and lord of the manor, but Thomas Moore, John Towle, John Litchfield, John, Thomas and William Barnard, and Henry Sherbrooke Esquires also have estates here.

The free school was purchased in 1838 with money raised by subscription, and a grant from the National Society. About 100 children are now taught in the school. Litchfield library was founded in 1839 by John Litchfield Esq. It contains 2,250 volumes, on philosophical and miscellaneous subjects, available to all subscribers of sixpence per quarter, paid in advance. The books were kept at the shoolroom till 1843, when the worthy donor erected a neat building, and vested it, together with the library, in the following trustees, for the use of the parishioners of Epperston, viz: John Litchfield Esq., John Barnard Esq., The Rev. Thomas White, and their successors."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Archives and Libraries

The Library was founded in 1839 by John LITCHFIELD. Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the old Library Lintel on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009.

Return to top of page

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2471
1891 R.G. 12 / 2707
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

The parish, township and village of Epperstone lies in the valley of the Dover Beck and covers 2,300 acres. It is 6 miles south-west of Southwell near Lowdham and 3 miles west of Thurgarton.

Epperstone village was granted a Conservation Order in 1972 in order to preserve the traditional village from major development. A number of buildings date back to the 16th and 17th centuries. Today it is mostly a commuter's village.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Year  Person
1853 John WHEATLEY, vict.
1869 Edwin SAMPSON
1876 Edwin SAMPSON
1881 John NEEDHAM
1904 --- BIRKIN

John NEEDHAM, above, was only 19 in the 1881 census, born Arnold, Nottinghamshire. He and his three younger brothers were running the Inn.

Year  Person
1853 Sarah CUTTS, vict.
1869 William SKINNER, wheelwright
1881 William SKINNER
1901 Thomas Francis LUCKETT

William SKINNER, above, was 68 in the 1881 census, born Nottingham.

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

There is one Commonwealth War Grave in the Holy Cross churchyard from World War II.

For a photograph of the War Memorial plaque in the church and the names listed on it, see the Southwell Churches History Project site.

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year Population
1801 422
1851 511
1861 518
1871 436
1881 435
1891 378
1901 362
1911 380
1921 408
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 14-March-2014 - Louis R. Mills]