GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Everton

"Everton Parish comprises the two townships of Everton and Scaftworth, the former of which contains about 3,521 acres, and the latter 1,049a3r 34p of land, of the rateable value of £5,500. The whole parish contains a population of 888 souls. The common land in Everton was enclosed in 1760, and in Scaftworth in 1773. The rectorial tithes of the new enclosures in Everton township were commuted for an allotment of 225a 2r 8p given to Lord Charles Cavendish who was then the impropriator. At the same time the vicarial tithes of the whole parish were redeemed by two allotments of 90 acres in Everton, and 15 acres in Scaftworth, besides ten acres of old glebe. The great tithes are still paid on all the old enclosures in the parish, and also on the new enclosures in Scaftworth. William Wells, Esq. of Stockwith, is now the impropriator.
The charities belonging to the parish are £1 6s 8d to the poor of Everton, and 13s 4d to those of Scaftworth, paid out of Stonehills Farm; an annuity of 10s out of an estate belonging to J. Walker Esq., and 5s yearly left by Robert Ducklin in 1721, out of a house belonging to the vicar, for the poor of Everton; and £100, left in 1800 by Elizabeth Ella, who directed half of the interest to be given to poor married lying-in women, and the remainder to be paid for the education of poor girls of Everton, where a school has been built by subscription."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Note: There are places called Everton in Lancashire and Bedfordshire as well as the city of Liverpool.

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2121
1861 R.G. 9 / 2412
1891 R.G. 12 / 2638
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Everton is a parish containing two townships. The two townships are: Everton-with-Harwell and Scartworth. The parish is 7 mils north of East Retford. The parish covers 3,819 acres, is bounded on the east by the Chesterfield Canal and includes the hamlet of Harwell.

Scaftworth township was 2 miles north-west of Everton village. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year Everton Scaftworth
1801 468 112
1851 774 114
1871 677 99
1881 654
1891 637
1901 640 116
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 22-July-2013 - Louis R. Mills]