"Farndon is a well built village and parish on the Trent, 2 miles west-south-west of Newark, and contains 590 inhabitants and 1,710 acres of land, mostly freehold, a small part copyhold and leasehold. The principal proprietors are William Back Esq. and W.R. Brockton Esq. There are also several smaller owners. The Duke of Newcastle is lord of the manor, but owns only a small portion of the land.
The church, dedicated to St Peter, is a large and lofty edifice, with two side aisles, chancel and tower, in which are 4 bells. A good organ was put up in the church in 1851. The prebendary of Farndon in the cathedral of Lincoln, is the patron and appropriator. The vicarage has the church of Balderton annexed to it, and is valued in the King's books at £6 13s 4d, now £244. The Rev. Robert Seymour Walpole is the incumbent. Both the great and small tithes were commuted for allotments of land, at the enclosure in 1768. The vicarage house is an old thatched building, now occupied by poor people."
[White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853]
- The parish was in the Newark Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||R.G. 9 / 2481
- The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Peter.
- The church building was erected during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. It is reported to be the third church built on the present site.
- The church interior was renovated circa 1880.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1569.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Newark.
- The parish was in the Newark Registration District for Civil Registration, which started in July, 1837.
- The national grid reference is SK 7752.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey "Explorer" map, which has 2.5 inches to the mile scale.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- The parish was in the southern divison of the ancient Newark Wapentake (Hundred) in the eastern division of the county.
- A National School was built here in 1858.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information
[Last updated: 29-November-2011 - Louis R. Mills]