GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Finningley

"Finningley Parish forms the northern portion of the county. It stretches northward from the Idle, betwixt Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, within which latter county a large portion of this parish is comprised. It is divided into the three townships of Finningley, Auckley and Blaxton, which contain 6,056 acres of rich sandy soil. The waste lands were enclosed by an act passed in 1771, and in 1778 an allotment of 1,156 acres was awarded to the rector, in lieu of all the tithes, except those paid for 300 acres which had no common right, and which still remain titheable.
William Hall, in 1668, left 10s yearly out of two acres in Blaxton fields, to the poor of Finningley parish. In 1672, Richard Metcalf gave to the poor of Finningley township two acres, which at the enclosure in 1774 were exchanged for 1a 3r 18p in the Mill Field. In the 28th year of Charles II, John Tuke gave to the poor of Auckley two acres, which at the enclosure were exchanged for 1a 2r 4p. Auckley has also 6s 8d yearly, out of land which formerly belonged to William Ramsay, the Poor's Close and the Town Close, containing 7a 3r 34p, which was awarded at the enclosure, and is placed to the poor rate account. Sarah Wood left 2s 6d yearly to Finningley, and the parish received 10s yearly from the overseers of Auckley, as interest of £10, left by an unknown donor. About half an acre of land in Blaxton belongs to the poor.
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 3522
1871 R.G. 10 / 4723
1891 R.G. 12 / 3867
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Finningley is a village and a parish with three townships; Finningley, Awkley and Blaxton. Blaxton is wholly in the West Riding of Yorkshire, And Awkley is mostly in the same West Riding of Yorkshire. The rest is in Nottingham. The parish lies 151 miles north of London and 7 miles south-east of Doncaster and 4 miles north of Bawtry. The parish covers 5,970 acres.

The Idle River runs past the southern end of the village. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year Finningley Auckley
1801 292 137
1851 404 100
1861 434 -
1871 415 -
1881 376 -
1891 328 -
1901 352 95
1911 337 -
1921 400 -
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 21-July-2013 - Louis R. Mills]