"Flawborough township and chapelry is a small village pleasantly situated on an eminence, 8 miles south of Newark. It has 79 inhabitants and 955 acres of land, and is the property of the Duke of Newcastle, and George William Manger Staunton is patron of the living. It is partly in the parish of Orston, and formerly paid a small modus in lieu of tithes of that parish, and another to Shelton, but the rector of Staunton now claims and retains the whole of the tithes, though his portion, by an ancient agreement, was limited to £60 a year.
The chapel is an ancient structure, and was rebuilt in 1840 by voluntary contributions, the Duke of Newcastle and the late Dr Staunton being the principal contributors. It is a neat building, with a handsome tower. The arched doorway in the west end is a fine specimen of ancient architecture, which prevailed in the reign of William Rufus. The stone composing it was preserved from the old chapel. A feast is held on the Sunday after St Peter's Day. At the foot of the hill on which the village stands is the small hamlet of Dallington."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2483|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2717|
Flawborough is a village, a townshipt and a parish about 135 miles north of London and 6 miles east of Bingham. The parish covers just under 1,000 acres>.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 - 1851 80 1881 76 1901 59
Find help, report problems, or contribute information