"Gedling Parish comprises the three townships of Gedling, Carlton and Stoke Bardolph, with a population of 2,922 souls and 4,490 acres of land.
Gedling is a small village with 402 inhabitants, situated 4 miles east-north-east of Nottingham, in a picturesque valley which opens into the vale of the Trent. It contains 1,626 acres of strong clay land. The Earl of Chesterfield is lord of the manor and patron of the rectory, and owns 785 acres. Earl Manvers owns 693 acres, and William Stamford Burnside Esq. also has an estate here. The latter resides at Gedling House, a beautiful modern mansion on a steep declivity overlooking the Trent.
The rectory, before the dissolution of the abbeys, belonged to the monastery of Shelford, and also had a vicarage to which they presented. The rectory is valued in the King's books at £14 6s, and the vicarage at £6 16s 8d, now worth £1,075. It received at the enclosure in 1793 three large allotments of land in lieu of tithes. The Rev. Charles Williams is the incumbent. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a nave and side aisles, is neatly pewed and has an organ, erected in 1808. It has a handsome lofty spire and four bells. In the body of the church are several handsome marble tablets, one of which remembers the late William E. Elliott Esq., who died in January 1844. His kindness and benevolence knew no bounds, and the poor of the surrounding parishes have lost a tried friend."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2445|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3495|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2679|
|A child under 7 years of age||£1.1.0|
|From 7 to 14||£2|
|For grown up persons||£5|
|Any person wishing to have a brick grave||£1|
|For making a vault in the church||£21|
|For putting a slab||£5|
All these fees to be paid to the Rector previous to the internment.
Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of Gedling Church Steeple on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007
Gedling is a village, a township and a parish 123 miles north of London, about 4 miles east of Nottingham and 10 miles south-west from Southwell. The parish covers about 4,500 acres and includes the townships of Gedling, Stoke-Bardolph and Carlton.
Gedling is now a suburb of Greater Nottingham city. Passenger rail service ceased in 1960. There is bus service from Nottingham.
Year Gedling Carlton Stoke
1801 554 819 157 1841 411 2,014 216 1851 402 2,329 191 1881 506 1901 785 10,386 213
Find help, report problems, or contribute information