"Gonalston is a small rural village and parish, near the Dover Beck, 4 miles south-south-west of Southwell, containing 100 inhabitants and 862 acres of land, enclosed in 1768, when 155 acres were allotted for the tithes. John Francklin Esq. owns the whole lordship, and is patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £7 19s 2d, now £324, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Edward Walker Foottit B.A.
The church, dedicated to St Lawrence, is a small structure, with a tower and two bells, and was rebuilt in 1852. In Thoroton's time it contained some ancient figures of crusaders, but they were either destroyed or removed at the diminution of the church. They have since been taken up by the present proprietor, under the superintendance of Rd. West Macott Esq. R.A., and are about to be placed in the nave of the new edifice."
The ancient family of Heriz were formerly owners of this place for many generationgs. We find Sir John de Heriz, in 1235, made an agreement with the prior of Thurgarton, and allowed him common pasture for fifty head of cattle, and fifty swine, without pannage; or iu a fertile year of acorns in Thurgarton wood, the number was to extend to sixty.
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]