"Gonalston is a small rural village and parish, near the Dover Beck, 4 miles south-south-west of Southwell, containing 100 inhabitants and 862 acres of land, enclosed in 1768, when 155 acres were allotted for the tithes. John Francklin Esq. owns the whole lordship, and is patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £7 19s 2d, now £324, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Edward Walker Foottit B.A.
The church, dedicated to St Lawrence, is a small structure, with a tower and two bells, and was rebuilt in 1852. In Thoroton's time it contained some ancient figures of crusaders, but they were either destroyed or removed at the diminution of the church. They have since been taken up by the present proprietor, under the superintendance of Rd. West Macott Esq. R.A., and are about to be placed in the name of the new edifice."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2471|
This village and parish lie about 1.5 miles west of the River Trent, 138 miles north of London, about 9 miles north-east of Nottingham and about 5 miles south-west by west of Southwell. The parish covers 1,329 acres and sits on the Dover Beck, a feeder to the River Trent.
If you are planning a visit to the village:
Year Population 1801 146 1851 100 1861 107 1881 119 1901 128
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.