"Gotham, seven miles south south west of Nottingham, is a considerable village and parish, bounded on the west by the lofty hills of the Wolds, and on the east by an extensive tract of marshy land, which is often flooded by the numerous streams that roll from the heights after heavy rains. Its parish contains 792 inhabitants, and 2,740 acres of land, enclosed in 1804, when 427a 3r 11p were allotted to the rector in lieu of tithes, in addition to 43a of Keyworth common allotted to him in the 36th of George III. Earl Howe is principal owner and lord of the manor, but D. Hall Esq., Mrs Crane, Sir Arthur B. Clifton and others have small estates here. All the water near the village is strongly tainted with decomposed vegetable matter, and with the gypsum that lies under the surface, so that the villagers were obliged to fetch their water from the summit of a hill, distant half a mile to the north. A few years ago, the Earl had pipes laid from Weldon Hills to the village, by which means a supply of pure water has been obtained. In 1829, his lordship erected a large school here, and supports the master, who has under tuition about 200 scholars. The poor parishioners have the interest of £57, left by John Barrow and three other benefactors. The church, dedicated to St Lawrence, was repaired and repewed in 1835 at the cost of about £1,200, raised by subscription, aided by a grant from the Incorporated Society for Building and Enlarging Churches. It contains 628 sittings, of which 477 are declared free for ever. In the chancel are several ancient monuments of the Andrews family. The rectory, valued in the King's books at £19 8s 6½d, now £513, is enjoyed by the Rev. John James Vaughan, and is in the alternate patronage of Earl Howe, Lord St John and George Saville Foljambe Esq., the former having the next presentation. The rectory is a commodious mansion on the south side of the church yeard. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2446|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2680|
This parish and village lie about 123 miles north of London, 7 miles south-west of Nottingham and 3 miles north-east of Kegworth. The parish covers about 2,740 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1801 475 1811 549 1851 792 1881 1,026 1901 1,009
Find help, report problems, or contribute information