"Greasley Parish is very extensive, and consists of the six hamlets and constablewicks of Brinsley, Kimberley, Moor Green, Newthorpe, Watnall Cantelupe and Watnall Chaworth, which maintain their poor conjointly, but their roads separately. The contain 5,284 inhabitants and 8,010 of enclosed land, of the rateable value of £9,130.
Greasley, commonly called Greasley Moor Green, from it being included in that constablewick, is situated 7 miles north-west by north of Nottingham. It is a small but pleasant village containing about 360 inhabitants. Lord Melbourne is the principal owner and lord of the manor, but Thomas Grammer, Mrs Marshall and the Misses Grammer also have estates here. The church is a spacious edifice, with a handsome and lofty embattled tower, and four good bells. The Rev. John Hides M.A. now enjoys the vicarage, which is valued in the King's books at £8 5s, now £134, and has had several augmentations from Queen Anne's Bounty. Lord Melbourne is the patron and impropriator. The Independents have a commodious chapel in the village."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Greasley hamlets & constablewicks;
- Kimberley, Brinsley, Moor Green, Newthorpe, Watnall Cantelupe, Watnall Chaworth