"Halam is a pleasant and well built village and parish, at the foot of a lofty range of hills, 1½ miles west by north of Southwell. It is in the liberty of Southwell and Scrooby, contains 390 inhabitants, and 1,558 acres of land, enclosed in 1778, when allotments were made in lieu of tithes. The Archbishop of York is lord of the manor, but the principal owners are William Flint Esq., John Milward gent., Rev. Edward Walker Foottit, Sir Richard Sutton, Bart., V.S. Burnell Esq., Mr David Towle, Mr Samuel Hart, Mr John Barrow and Mr John Rick, who are mostly copyholders and leaseholders. There are also about 20 small freeholds, which are generally occupied by their owners.
There was an ancient capital messuage and a good demesne, all freehold, the inheritance of Leek of Halam, of which family Adam Leek deceased 1673, son and heir of Herbert Leek, being left by his father in as much debt as this old seat was worth, and having married the heiress of Bollet de Osberton, removed thither, and sold his interest at Halam to Richard Lloyd Esq., who was high sheriff of this county in 1673. He built a large house of brick and stone, where he resided for many years."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2470|
Halam is a village and a parish on the high road from Southwell to Mansfield. The parish is 1.5 miles west of Southwell and 10 miles southeast of Mansfield. The parish covers 1,310 acres and includes the hamlet of Radley, 1.5 miles south of Hallam village.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 284 1851 390 1881 290 1901 255
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.