"Halloughton is a small village and parish, situated on an eminence 1½ miles south-west of Southwell. Its parish, which is in the liberty of Southwell and Scrooby, comprises 79 inhabitants and 977 acres of land, rated at £1,606. Sir Richard Sutton, Bart., is the principal owner and lord of the manor. An ancient mansion here is supposed to have been the dwelling of a religious fraternity, belonging to Thurgarton Priory, and that the establishment was for females. In taking up its kitchen floor some years ago, the entrance to a subterranean passage was discovered, which was traced to a considerable length, and there is an old tradition that it had a communication thence to Thurgarton. It is further remarkable, that in taking down a stack of chimneys in the same house, there was found in the middle of them a large recess, in which were found many human skeletons, principally those of children.
The church is a small edifice, dedicated to St James, and is in the appropriation and patronage of its own prebendary, in Southwell collegiate church. The perpetual curacy has been augmented with Queen Anne's Bounty, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. Thomas Coates Cane."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2470 & 2472|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2708|
Halloughton is a parish and a village that sits on a stream that feeds into the River Trent. It is about 1.5 miles south-west of Southwell, 12.5 miles north-east of Nottingham city and 9 miles west of Newark on Trent. The parish covers 988 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 90 1851 79 1861 67 1871 67 1881 64 1891 65 1901 67 1911 56
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.