"Harworth Parish is situated at the western verge of the county, betwixt Blyth and Tickhill, and contains upwards of 7,000 acres of land and 1,198 inhabitants, although those who live in Styrrup and Oldcoates are all returned with Blyth parish, in which part of that township is comprehended. The hamlets of Hesley and Limpool, Martin and Serlby are all in this parish, and maintain their poor conjointly with Harworth, which is the only part of the parish exonerated from tithe at the enclosure in 1804, when 108a 1r 36p was awarded to the vicar, and 115a 3r 21p in lieu of the great tithes, appropriated to Shrewsbury Hospital, in Sheffield Park, of which the Duke of Norfolk is trustee. Harworth is a pleasant village, with a small stream running through it, 2 miles east-south-east of Tickhill, and 3 miles west-south-west of Blyth. It contains 595 inhabitants and 1,428a 3r 2p of land, principally belonging to Lord Galway.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient fabric, built about the 12th century, except the chancel, which was erected in 1672. In repairing the building in 1828, an arched recess was discovered in the wall, with a cupboard containing a garland, a cribbage board, and several other articles of a more sacred character. At the same time a handsome cross was found in the churchyard, and is now placed above the east window.
The Duke of Norfolk is patron of the vicarage, which is valued in the king’s books at £5. 9s. 7d., now at £687., and is enjoyed by the Rev. Charles Eboral Rodgers, M.A."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]