"Hawkesworth, anciently called Hocheword, is a small village parish 4 miles north-east of Bingham, and 8 miles south-south-west of Newark. It was of the fee of Walter D'Ayncourt, and partly soc to Aslacton. It now contains 171 inhabitants, and about 800 acres of land, most of which belongs to the Rev. John Storer M.A., who is lord of the manor. Mrs Hunt is the patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £8 13s 9d, now £268, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. Geo. Hunt Smyttan B.A. At the enclosure (in 1761), 143 acres were allotted in lieu of tithes. The chutch, dedicated to St Mary and All Saints, is a small building, with a brick tower. The chancel has been lately rebuilt, and contains some fine stained glass by Wailes of Newcastle."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2483|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2717|
The village stands 4 miles northeast of Bingham, 9 miles southwest of Newark-on-Trent and 125 miles north of London.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 154 1851 171 1861 176 1871 167 1881 158 1891 147 1901 173 1911 153 1921 135
Find help, report problems, or contribute information