"Hawton, 2 miles south-south-west of Newark, is a scattered village and parish pleasantly situated on the River Devon, comprising 227 inhabitants, and 2,150 acres of land, mostly belonging to Robert Holden Esq., of Nuthall Temple. The Duke of Newcastle and Thomas Scales have small estates here, which was soc to Newark, to which this parish adjoins, near the extensive linen manufactory called Hawton's Mills.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, is in the early style of English architecture, and contains some ancient monuments of the Molyneaux family, also a few handsome marble ones to the Holdens, whose family vault is here. In 1843 the chancel was thoroughly repaired, and a new roof added. The whitewash, which for many years had obscured and disgraced the rich decoration and beautiful carving was taken away. On the south side are three stone stalls, and on the north a lofty arch, having deep and rich mouldings. Beneath is the effigy of a knight in armour. The rectory, valued in the King's books at £17 13s 4d, is in the gift of Charles Newdigate Newdegate Esq. The Rev. Pelly Parker M.A. is the incumbent. The tithes have been commuted for about £750."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2481|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2715|
This village and parish are near the River Devon only about 1.5 miles south of Newark-on-Trent. The parish covers about 2,180 acres.
The River Devon flows just west of the village.
Year Inhabitants 1801 107 1851 227 1881 286 1891 246 1901 242
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.