"Hayton parish on the east side of the Idle, and intersected by the Chesterfield canal, comprises the hamlets of Hayton and Tilne, which contain 260 inhabitants, and 2610 acres of land, chiefly a strong clay soil, having abundance of gypsum underneath the hills, of which 775a 3r 31p are in Tilne; which is the only part of the parish mentioned in Doomsday Book, but the whole belongs to the Archbishop of York's fee of Sutton, commonly called the north soke of Southwell and Scrooby.
Hayton is a straggling village, pleasantly situated betwixt the canal and the Gainsboro' road, three miles N.N.E. from Retford. The church, dedicated to St Peter, is an ancient fabric, with a lofty tower and three bells; the living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4 15s 5d, now at £152. The Archbishop of York is the patron, and lord of the manor, and the Rev. William Mee incumbent. The tithe was commuted in March 1844, on 1184a 1r 4p of land, for £264 10s to the late Hon. J.B. Simpson, and £14 to Robert Hartshorn Barber Esq., as impropriators. At the enclosure of the commons in 1769, land was alloted in lieu of the great tithes of the Commons to the impropriator Lord George Cavendish, who sold his estates here to R.H. Barber Esq. and others; Mr Barber being subject to the reparation of the chancel of the church; the present owners are Henry Bridgeman Simpson, R.H. Barber, H.C. Hutchinson, F. Fearnley Esq. and others, with several resident owners." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]